UWC-USA seeks to appoint a Director of Advancement. This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the President. The Director of Advancement is responsible, in coordination with the President and the Board of Trustees, for developing and implementing the fundraising, alumni relations, communications, and marketing strategies for UWC-USA.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Directly responsible to:
● Plan and manage the fundraising program to include the Annual Fund, gifts for special projects and endowment, major and planned gifts, and foundation proposals when appropriate
● Manage a portfolio of major donors
● Travel to meet with donors and prospects as required and prepare President for meetings with prospects and donors
● Manage donor recognition and stewardship programs
● Provide written and oral reports to Strategic Leadership Team and the Board at regularly scheduled intervals and keep the President informed on an ongoing basis of fundraising results
● Serve as staff liaison for any Board committees relevant to fundraising, alumni relations, and marketing/ communications
● Oversee and regularly evaluate Advancement Office staff, including staff who work remotely
● Manage the department budget
● Serve as a member of the Strategic Leadership Team and perform other duties as assigned by the President
Planning and preparation:
● Work closely with the President on planning and preparing the school for special campaigns and/or a major anniversary-based fundraising campaign
● Create and implement a staffing plan to increase capacity of school to research, qualify, cultivate, and solicit constituents who are around the globe
● Supervise alumni relations staff in designing most effective ways to communicate with and about alumni on and off campus while seeking to increase the level of alumni support and engagement with the school
● Supervise marketing and communications staff in designing most effective use of the UWC-USA website, social media platforms, e-newsletters, and print pieces to raise awareness of UWC-USA
● Oversee staff who process and acknowledge all gifts, adhering to legal requirements
● Oversee maintenance of an accurate database of donors, prospects, and alumni and running analytical reports from the database
● Work effectively in conjunction with Business Office staff to assure smooth operations in relation to gift processing, the annual audit, and budgetary matters
● Minimally 8-10 years of increasingly responsible advancement experience that includes leadership and program building with alumni and major donors, and with proven success in annual, capital, and endowment fundraising
● Demonstrated management experience and ability to lead staff, establish goals, and manage performance. Experience managing remotely preferred.
● Experience with gift planning
● Strong aptitude for metrics/performance goals and deliverables
● Excellent writing, communication, persuasion, and presentation skills
● Understanding and appreciation for a seven-day, independent, boarding school culture, as well as for the UWC mission
● Strong organizational skills and high level of self and team accountability
● Strong mentorship ability
● Capacity and willingness to travel globally
● Skill with Blackbaud products, Microsoft Office, and presentation software
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
● Work is typically performed in an interior/office work environment
● Can require sitting for long periods of time
● Requires some physical effort
● Some exposure to physical risk
● Bachelor’s degree is required
● Masters is preferred
This position is an exempt, full-time position. Compensation is commensurate with experience; and UWC-USA offers a competitive benefits package.
UWC-USA is an international boarding school. It enrolls 225 students in grades 11 and 12. All students follow the IB Diploma program. Roughly twenty percent of the students come from the USA; the remainder represent more than 90 different countries. Students are admitted on the basis of merit, potential, and promise.
A UWC-USA application, letter of interest specific to the position, resume, and a list of references may be emailed to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. UWC-USA is an equal opportunity employer.